Thursday, September 18, 2014

iOS 8 Review

So I downloaded iOS 8 just a few hours ago. Here's what I think about it so far:

1. JUICE UPGRADE - gave my iPhone 5s an extended battery life. I've been using it the whole day, like for 10.5 hours already with LTE and the works, and it still has 31% life on it. Amazing, I'm so loving it ü

2. PREDICTIVE TEXT - I assume Apple's been keeping track of the way I text for the past years so it's far more intelligent than my android toy, it has this eerie way of knowing what I want to type - eerie in a great way ü



3. APP COMPATIBILITY - The downside though of upgrading early is that not all of my apps go in sync with it. Some apps aren't compatible with the newest software upgrade yet. I guess I just have to wait it out for a while.

4. HEALTH - this new portion of the iPhone hasn't found its way to my preference yet. I have no use for it. But I think other health buffs will find it helpful. Maybe I'll get to use it more when the Apple Watch comes out ü

5. iCLOUD DRIVE - this upgrade is nice, in such a way that allows user to save documents on the cloud, enabling continuity of work in various Apple gadgets- from iPhone to iMac to iPad to Macbook Pro and back. Just like how it is for Viber on the iPhone and MacBook Pro, it reflects changes simultaneously, on all connected devices. Some may love it, some might hate it. It's just a matter of preference.

6. DESIGN - not much has changed on the appearance department though, except for the Control Center's reversed colours, which is not my taste, by the way. The font, it seems, have smaller size compared to iOS 7's smallest.

7. VOICE RECORDING & AUDIO RECORDING on iMessage


8. RECENTLY ADDED / RECENTLY DELETED photos allow you to see recent photos and recover recently deleted photos easily if deleted within 30 days (which is way better vs. no way to recover). I'm just not sure if the "recently deleted" photos take up space. If it does, it's just like renaming an album.. If it works on iCloud, that's better. Otherwise you will have to use paid apps to recover.


Overall, not much has changed unlike the major jump we've made from iOS 6 to iOS 7, Main takeaways include improved battery life and the smartest predictive keyboard I've ever encountered. Looking forward to more and far better software updates ü

____________________________

Update: September 21, 2014

I just noticed that iPhoto is no longer supported for iOS 8.
Some apps have not yet upgraded so some functions do not work, like in-app scrolling (for choices)
My iPhone had millisecond lags vs. how I remember it operating on iOS 7. Hope Apple does something about this.
Facebook has not done its homework...
- Photo Uploading not available on Safari iOS 8
- FB Messenger won't download to an iOS 8 device..
Facebook, Boooo




No comments:

Post a Comment